When you think of places to get away from it all, you might think of places with white sand and sapphire blue water and drinks with tiny umbrellas and the smell of sunscreen, or some equally cliché setting for a vacation. Yet, the second anyone can find time to get to one of these picturesque beachfront resorts, it seems as if everyone else has had the same idea.
Invariably, this peaceful oasis you construct in your mind is sullied by the hordes of uptight working stiffs that bring with them the myriad stressors that you are trying to get away from in the first place!
Thirty miles east of Huntsville, Scottsboro is the perfect alternative vacation destination for you and your entire family. If you are looking for a place to relax for a few days, or even if you are planning a cross-country road trip, here are some reasons why you should make a stop in Scottsboro:
- So, you like big bodies of water in your vacation, right? Well, you don’t have to compromise. Scottsboro is located on Lake Guntersville, Alabama’s largest lake, measuring in at an impressive seventy-five miles in length—big enough to accommodate all of your fishing, swimming, and boating desires.
- Perhaps you enjoy a little prestige infused with a bit of the outdoors. Goose Pond Colony Resort is the answer. The resort offers lakeside cottages, lodges, waterfront campground living arrangements, two 18-hole championship golf courses, a swimming pool, and conference facilities if you need to get a little work done. There’s also a full service marina, so bring your boat.
- Maybe you’re not really an outdoor person. No worries. For those inclined to shop, Scottsboro offers Unclaimed Baggage. The idea is they buy neglected luggage from local airports, open them up, and itemize the contents. Even if you aren’t going to buy something, it is an interesting shopping experience to say the least. The prices aren’t thrift-store cheap, but who packs thrift store-quality stuff when they go on vacation? You never know what you’ll find, and we have it on good authority that a little sifting can yield some designer stuff at a fraction of the original cost.
- If you fancy yourself an art enthusiast, Scottsboro is the home of Art Sunday, a massive trade show held the Sunday before Labor Day every year in Caldwell Park. And, if you miss out on that, there’s always something creative going down at The Social Nook, a community workshop where anyone can book anything from a wine tasting to a finger painting clinic for kids.
- Finally,, if you want to inject a little culture and education into your vacation, check out the Scottsboro Boys Museum. The museum was founded in 2010 and serves as a reminder of the tragic events surrounding the Scottsboro Boys Trial, one of the early catalysts of the Civil Rights Movement.
So, if you’re going to get your vacation on this summer, maybe try something different. Try Scottsboro.
While you’re in town, make sure to drop by Harbin Automotive to check out the best selection of summer road trip-ready vehicles.